Fire Protection Contractor’s General Liability Insurance

Speak with a licensed agent: 877-893-7629 Monday to Friday, 8am-8pm ET

Fire Protection Contractors are a hard class of business to write. We are contractor specialists; we work with carriers that write specialty contractors like you.

Because of the vital nature of the business and the lives they can potentially save from disaster, Fire Protection Contractors require specific coverage and endorsements to protect their business from catastrophic loss.

At PBIB out goal is to provide coverage to protect your business from the common causes of loss associated within the fire suppression trade.

Available Nationwide!

Our Fire Protection Program comes standard with all the coverage and endorsements you require!

All Included in ONE Price:

  • General Liability
  • Professional Liability (Included)
  • Blanket Additional Insured (Included)
  • Completed Operations (Included)
  • Waiver of subrogation (Included)
  • Primary Non-Contributory Wording (Included)

Fire Protection Classes:

94381 – Fire Sprinklers

94382 – Fire Systems – Pre-Engineered & Engineered Systems

Design, Installation, Service/Repair:

94304 – Fire Extinguishers

91127 – Alarms

99999 – Grease Cleaning

Including: Testing, Inspections, Product Sales, Residential & Commercial.


Available Endorsements & Extensions:

  • Per Project Aggregate
  • 30-day Notice of Cancellation
  • Pollution/Mold Liability
  • Employee Benefits liability
  • Stop Gap Coverage
  • Lost Key Coverage
  • Contractor Enhancement Endorsement
  • Property Damage

Other Coverages:

  • Excess and Umbrella Liability ( $1M to $10M)

What are the greatest loss exposures for Fire Protection Contractors?

    #1 Faulty Installation / Equipment

    Despite receiving training and making sure that your employees are also properly educated and trained, and regardless of your efforts to adhere to all codes, there’s a chance that issues can arise when you and your team are installing a fire sprinkler system.

    How to reduce exposure and chance of loss?

    1. Make sure you and your employees adhere to all codes.
    2. Train new employees on common errors, and accidents and how to prevent them from occurring.
    3. Inspect work performed by all employees; this allows for effective training and correction.
    #2 Water Damage to Property

    Your guys are always careful, but one day when installing some sprinklers, they damage the building. This could end up being costly and even turn into a lawsuit.


    1. Failure to turn off water source during system work.
    2. Damaging a sprinkler head.
    3. Plumbing leak, or a pipe burst.
    #3 Negligence during construction, that results in damages
    Negligence defined; “Failure to take proper care in doing something”. If any legal suits are filed against you for negligence, you could end up having to pay hefty fees.

    How to reduce losses due to Negligence?

    1. Good Fire Protection practices are what keep these types of losses to a minimum.
    2. Installation that does not meet Fire Code or NFPA Standards may result in strict liability in the event of a claim.
    3. Check the work of your employees or subcontractors, make them aware, of the proper local code and regulations.
    4. Check the materials for compliance prior to installation. A simple error from the supplier can lead to a negligence claim.
    5. Failure to turn water on after service or installation.
    6. Improper system design, insufficient water flow, head spacing, system type for fire exposure.


    What affects your insurance pricing?

    Losses within the last 5 years
    Understand that your insurance company is like any other business, “Insurance Companies are in the business of making money”. Paying losses is a cost of business for an insurance company. But with that said, insurance companies are looking for insureds’ with a low loss history, long experience in the trade and in business.

    The carrier looks for losses over the last 5 years. They look for size and frequency of claims and was that claim unavoidable.

    If the size of you claim is high, or you have 2 or more small claims in a year, the insurance carrier may choose not to continue business with your company at the time of renewal. They will send prior to your renewal date by mail a “Non-Renewal Notice”. That means we will have to look for other markets to get your insurance, and that means the price will usually be much higher!

    I have not seen this very often, but; If claims size or frequency is way out of line, it is possible that you may become uninsurable, or the price for insurance is so high, it may be unprofitable to for you to continue.

    Years Experience
    Many insurance companies have eligibility requirements for an insured’s years of experience. Your “Overall Years of Trade Experience” becomes more important if your time in business is less than 5 years. The underwriter is looking for reason to offer you a policy, at favorable terms. The more years’ experience is looked on favorably when pricing a policy. Years in business is weighted more heavily as loss history determines if an insured is eligible for a program.
    Years in Business

    Your “Years in Business” though similar to your “Overall Years of Trade Experience” carry a lot more weight in the pricing of your policy. The Underwriter’s look at your years of experience coupled with losses, to determine if you’re are a good risk for the carrier to provide coverage for.

    Years of successful operation of your business will put MONEY in your pocket when it comes time to renew your policy, not to mention the cost of claims in dollars and reputation of your company.

    Type of Work Performed

    One of the main components of pricing a policy is the type of work performed. Insurance and certain trade organizations maintain records of loss history based on the trade, class and state where the work is performed. Other components of the type of work is the size, scope and growth of the company.

    The underwriter’s logic; is they are looking for a company that stays within a certain size and scope of work and do not have growth year to year greater than 20%.

    An underwriter will consider the following when pricing a policy:

    1) Is the insured staying within his trade, or is he expanding outside his successful experience base of knowledge?

    2) Is a company growing too fast, taking on too much work? The result of growing too fast is a decrease in the quality of work, more errors occur because the growth of work has exceeded the ability of the company to effectively manage the projects and employees. Additionally, new employees may be untested, and these conditions may lead to losses.

    What are the insurance needs of a Fire Protection Contractor?

    General Liability Insurance
    Why you need General Liability Insurance?

    General liability insurance gives you the peace-of-mind that your business assets are protected against risks or unforeseen events. If a third-party alleges property damage, injury, or bodily harm, you won’t have to worry about your construction business assets being depleted by medical bills, court costs, settlements, or judgements.

    In the high-risk construction industry, safety and protection are part of the job. General liability insurance is one way you can protect your business and keep your assets where you want them. You work hard to build your business. General liability insurance works hard to protect it.

    This section explains what our business general liability insurance offers. You should consider general liability insurance coverage if you or your employees:

    – Interact with clients face to face– If you visit a client’s place of work, or clients visit yours

    – Use third-party locations for any business-related activities

    – For example, contractors should make sure that they’re covered with contractor business insurance.

    – Are required to have general liability insurance before entering into a contract

    General Liability Insurance policy coverage

    What is covered?

    • Bodily Injury
    • Damage to third party property
    • Personal injury
    • Advertising injury
    • Medical expenses
    • Defense costs (On covered claims)
    • Actions of your employees

    What is not covered?

    • Your property
    • Injury to you or your employees
    • Professional services
    • Workers compensation
    • Intent to injure
    • Coverage outside the policy period
    • Known claims prior to the start of the policy
    Workers Compensation

    Worker’s Compensation insurance covers work-related accidents, illnesses, and even death. In the event of an accident, worker’s compensation will protect your employees, while shielding your construction business from the possibility of liability for employee injuries. Almost every state requires a business to have insurance to cover medical costs and lost wages for injured or ill workers, and if you don’t carry this coverage you could be liable for these costs.

    What Does Workers’ Comp Cover?
    In the construction industry, workers compensation claims come in every day. If one of your employees is injured or becomes ill as a result of their job, workers’ comp benefits cover the costs of getting them well and back to work, including:

    • Medical expenses
    • Lost wages
    • Legal fees, in the event of a lawsuit
    • Disability benefits

    Workers’ compensation doesn’t just benefit your employee, it also protects you from financial losses in the event an employee injury becomes a lawsuit. You can get your employees the care they need to get back to work while protecting your business from headaches and costly lawsuits.

    In the construction industry, your employees risk their safety simply by showing up for work. Prevent accidents from happening by emphasizing a culture of safety and be prepared for accidents with workers’ compensation insurance so you can take care of the people who work hard for you.

    General contractors and project owners can protect their investments in a construction project during the course of construction with the right contractor’s insurance policy in place.

    Business Auto
    Contractors and construction professionals rely on their autos to get the job done. Whether you’ve got a personal vehicle that doubles as your work truck or an entire fleet of autos that your construction business owns, contractor commercial auto can protect your vehicles from the risks of the road.

    You may need to consider commercial auto coverage if :

    • Your business owns or leases any vehicles
    • There are any vehicles titled or registered to your business
    • You use your vehicle as your primary work vehicle
    • Any employees or non-listed drivers use your vehicle on a regular basis
    • Any of your vehicles have ladder racks, permanent toolboxes, or other equipment installed  to support your business activities
    Tools & Equipment Coverage
    Tools and equipment insurance is designed to protect your high-value movable property. Tools and equipment coverage, also known as inland marine insurance, protects your hard-working assets from common risks like: theft and damage, as you transport them to and from your worksite.

    As a contractor or construction professional, you regularly transport the tools, equipment, and supplies you need to get the job done. Tools and equipment insurance ensures your items’ replacement should an accident, theft, or loss happen. It can also cover tools that your construction or contracting crew takes with them when they perform a job.

    What Does Tools & Equipment Insurance Cover?

    Tools and equipment insurance commonly includes coverage for the following types of property:

    • Property in transit, such as contractor’s tools and supplies
    • Mobile equipment, such as forklifts, dozers, track hoes, maintainers, loaders
    • Computer equipment and data, such as accounting software, lead-tracking data, policies, procedures, and other electronic assets
    • From the smallest hand tools to larger equipment such as welders, nail guns, generators and other high-value items, replacement costs can add up fast if your tools are stolen or damaged. With tools and equipment coverage, your investment in these assets is protected.
    Business Property

    A commercial property policy is purchased to cover damage to contractor’s own buildings, office contents, and most other personal property that it owns. A commercial property policy can also cover loss of income or increase in expenses that result from insured damage.

    Property Insurance Coverages include: 

    • The building that houses your business, whether owned or rented
    • All office equipment, whether items are owned or leased
    • Fundamental company documents
    • Inventory kept in the premises
    • Fence and landscaping
    • Signs and satellite dishes
    • Business Income Coverage
    • Employee Dishonesty
    • Crime
    • Equipment Breakdown

    Protecting your business means defending yourself against the fiscal risk of lawsuits and claims. For many businesses, one single lawsuit could be financially disastrous.


    A contractor’s license bond is a legal obligation that guarantees you’ll perform your work according to your contract while adhering to the rules and regulations of your contractor license.

    License Bond

    A license bond is used to obtain or maintain your contractor license. A license bond is required in most states and is your guarantee that you won’t violate any state law regulations.

    Bid Bond

    Bid bonds keep the bidding process fair for everyone by guaranteeing that the successful bidder will enter the contract and will provide all necessary performance and payment bonds. A bond claim would cover the difference between the cost of the low bid to the next bid.

    When bidding on a public works project, a bid bond is typically required as a part of the bidding process. This bid bond is 20% of the bid amount on the Federal projects and varies from 5-20% on other public works bids.

    Performance Bond

    A performance bond is a surety bond that guarantees to the oblige that the principal will successfully complete a project according to the agreed upon terms and conditions.

    If the contractor fails to complete the project, the surety company will step-up and complete the project itself to fulfill the contract. The surety company can hire a separate contractor to complete the contract but will not pay more than the limit of liability stated in the bond. If the surety company suffers a loss they will seek reimbursement from the contractor. A performance bond is not insurance.

    Payment Bond

    A payment bond is a surety bond that guarantees the client that if the contractor fails to pay its subcontractors and/or material suppliers on the project for which the bond was purchased, the surety company will make the payments up to the amount agreed upon for the bond. This guarantees a lien-free project.

    Builders Risk

    There are a lot of accidents that may occur while working on a construction project. Halfway through a remodel, an unexpected fire destroys the work you’ve completed or maybe a flash storm damages the materials you’re keeping on a project site. The tools and equipment you’re storing on-site are stolen and your completed work is vandalized. In all of these instances, you’ll face a loss. And these losses may not be covered by your traditional property insurance policy.

    Builders risk insurance protects you from the incidents you can’t plan for and helps you recoup your losses when the unexpected strikes.

    What Does Builder’s Risk Cover?

    When you have a builder’s risk policy covering your construction project, you’re covered against losses which may include:

    • Theft of tools and equipment onsite
    • Fire damage to a structure in progress
    • Structural damage due to weather events
    • Vandalism to a structure in progress

    Builders risk insurance reimburses your business for losses if thieves steal copper wire or tools from your project site. It covers the cost to repair or rebuild if a fire or an extreme storm damages your project. Builders risk may also cover the cost of cleanup and clearing away debris so you can get back to work without delay.

    Protect your Jobsite Materials with an Installation Floater.

    Installation Floaters cover specific materials / items that a contractor is planning to install. This covers either all risks or specific sources of losses for materials or equipment specifically named in the policy. We can help you add an Installation Floater to your Builder’s Risk policy.

    One of the biggest risk’s contractors face is theft of their tools, equipment, machinery or materials. Don’t leave your assets defenseless to face that risk without adequate protection. Contractors can safeguard themselves from financial loss by protecting the smaller assets that help get the job done with the right insurance coverage.

    Why do I need an Excess Insurance Policy?

    Excess Liability

    If a claim exceeds your underlying policy limit, you will have to pay the difference yourself. Could your construction business weather a $1M difference between a costly claim and your existing policy limit? With excess coverage, you don’t have to worry about a big incident depleting your business assets.

    Excess insurance is sold in $1 million dollar increments, so you can extend the limits of your existing policies to a comfortable amount of coverage. The policy premiums for excess insurance are surprisingly affordable. Don’t leave the security of your business to chance; extend your contractor insurance coverage and fortify your defense with umbrella/excess insurance.

    Excess insurance extends over your existing underlying insurance policies, primarily general liability, and for additional premium you can have it extend over your auto, work comp and other policies.

    Contact Us

    2102 Business Center Drive, Ste. 280
    Irvine, CA 92612


    info@pbibinc.com or Chat With Us